Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Devil's Pastime


I find it hard to believe that my Grandma Keough really believed cards were evil. When I think of cards only good memories come flooding in. Some of the best times were at the kitchen table after supper just playing cards. I rem thinking that Rick was never going to understand how to play. Tonight Grandpa and Roz played cribbage. She is getting the basic ideas down. Let's try and play cards more. I know we all are busy and scurry to and fro but wouldn't it be fun?
Maybe I just have cabin fever. Roz was hoping for school tomorrow because she is bored. There is a big difference in not going anywhere and not being able to go anywhere. This too shall pass!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know she thought cards were evil.
Well, that what a lot of folks thought back then.
See how a few card readers ruin it for everyone!
One of my fondest memories is at Grandma's when we'd play solitare with a bunch of us at the table.
:)

Rita said...

She did play a card game with Brian when he was about Coleman's age...I have to picture to prove it...in the dining room on a TV table...it was cute.... Maybe she related cards to a room in the back of a bar with alcohol and cigars...and someone losing alot of money!!!

Amy McQuillan said...

I loved playing Euchre at Gram Keough's....

Anonymous said...

Yes one Sunday morning in the Clinton Avenue house Rita and I were all dressed for church waiting for everyone else to get ready. We were quietly playing cards in the front room. Grandma Keough walked by us and said "Heathens" and kept on walking. I didn't know what the word meant? When I got home I asked grandpa what that word meant? LOL No she did not like cards! We learned a lot playing cards the afgahn of our lives. T-4